Sunday, August 12, 2012

Dale - Axe Murderer?

So I'm sure I've mentioned it in other posts, but I always have to wonder when I'm set up on a date by someone who reads this blog if they're secretly hoping to see a post about it.  In this particular case I doubt that's true because there really wasn't anything wrong with the guy... just the scenario.  You'll see what I mean.
-----

About a year ago I had a blind date with a law student from ASU.  I hadn't talked to him much before, but he seemed nice enough when he picked me up. 

After driving for about twenty minutes, I realized I couldn't remember the last time we'd passed a building...or any sign of civilization.  Finally I asked where he was taking me (episodes of Law&Order flashing through my mind.)

He apologetically explained he had planned to go out to the lake to look at the stars with some binoculars he'd gotten.

When we got out to the lake and pulled into the parking lot, he looked around and decided it wasn't dark enough and drove around to the opposite side of the lake. (Okay, maybe he really is going to kill me.)

The sun had set nearly completely when we got out.  He led me to a hiking trail... which we took in the dark for about a half mile.

By this time I was pretty sure I wasn't going to make it out of there alive.  Of course, out of politeness, I'd left my phone in his car.  How would my roommates even know where to look for my body?

The rest of the date actually went pretty well.  Toward the end of the evening I did point out that I typically don't hike in the wilderness alone with strangers and he realized how creepy it must have been.  We had a good laugh and he asked if he could take me out again the following week to do something less obscure. (Note: he never did.)

I think of this blind date every time I drive out to that lake. The night I thought I might not come back...

No comments:

Post a Comment